Monday, October 16, 2006

Calling All Geeks - Nov. 19th!!!

Calling All Geeks - Nov. 19th!!!
Current mood: optimistic

OK people, for those interested, you're welcome to join me and a small group of folks for the first day of Wii-goodness. Yep, I've got my pre-order all set for the new Nintendo, and I want to cram as many people into my studio as possible for a day of geeking out, boozing it up, and general fun. This is the first console I'm buying brand new since the Super NES (yep all the way back in like 1991 or something), and I'm actually really excited.

I don't play video games as much as I once did, due to today's absurdly long, over-complex, and ultraviolent games. I just don't have the time. But the Wii is geared towards people like me: games you can pick up and enjoy with other people from time to time. The prototypical view of a gamer is an overweight, mid-20's male, buried under mountains of fast food garbage, jamming buttons together at frenzied pace in the dark at 3AM in the morning. I think this system is trying to change that, by attempting to appeal to women and the older generation through more group-oriented and less-complex games that just about everyone can enjoy. So, based on that premise, I'm going to give this one a try.

So, anyone (male, female, old, young) who wants to come is welcome on the 19th! BYOB, BYOP, BYOF. Email me for details. I'm excited to try the new controller---imagine swinging a tennis racket by actually swinging your arm rather than pressing a bunch of buttons. Or boxing with lifelike moves. I suspect it will lead to massive amounts of trash-talking. Sweet!

Currently listening :
OS_0.3
By Luke Fair
Release date: 21 June, 2005

No comments: