Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Another Day at Guantanamo

Another Day at Guantanamo
Current mood: sad

We are living in historical times. One day in the future history books will look back on this period with amazement. (That is, if there is a future...)

Folks, our rights are being eviscerated, on a daily basis, right in front of our eyes. If I had to name the one thing most valuable to me about my citizenship in the United States, I would instantly respond "habeas corpus." I believe that presumption of innocence, and the right to a fair trial, is the very foundation of democracy, and the delineating line between it and tyranny.

However, over the past 5 years, the right of habeas corpus has been methodically thrown into the toilet by our caring government. One of the blackest marks in our nation's ENTIRE HISTORY is the prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Here, in this medieval dungeon, human beings are treated like animals and basic conventions of decency are ignored.

I've harped on this subject here in the blog before, and it is truly something I care deeply about. But this morning's DemocracyNow report on the recent guilty plea from Australian citizen David Hicks at Guantanamo is... well, just absolutely sick. I love my country, but I am so embarrassed to be a part of this continuing atrocity. It's like we've just decided to rewind a few hundred years of social progress and now find ourselves where we were before the Renaissance and subsequent Enlightenment. And yes, we are all a part of it. In a democracy everyone must shoulder the blame.

I can't say anything more analytical about this than the report I've linked to does. I mean, the guy had to grow his hair down to his chest in the front just so he could sleep! That says it all right there. Suffice it to say I am sitting here in my cubicle steaming. Check it out for yourself. There are links to audio and video clips as well as a written transcript of the story.

Currently listening :
Transitions Vol. 2
By John Digweed
Release date: 06 February, 2007

No comments: